- Mainframe is a very different animal, it is not what one would call general purpose, not as flexible than say a server, or PC.
- The OS require one to think in a very different way, like there is no file as we know it...
- one could say, it have many behind the scene, enough to not to trust the system, one would wonder how security works.
- And the software have backward compatibility in mind,
- Which resulting in, certain process which is very arcane, like JCL
- Certain software certainly look very ancient. Like the z/os interface. Again JCL.
- But some very flexible in a way, like the VSAM........
- And some have interesting features that other place don't have, such as the data set editor. Or in stream data in JCL(By then who do things like JCL anymore)
- But it is really a hassle, to do certain thing, like one have to create a data set, before one can use it, I mean most programming language today actually able to create a file automatically not needing to give the low level details.
- One would certainly appreciate UNIX design, or it just me get used to it. Or it just as I say, it is a different animal, for a different task, with a different design.......
Saturday, May 17, 2008
The training + 1 week
One realization after one week of mainframe training is,